Monday, May 9, 2011

Brunch at the Continental in Philly

A few weekends ago my roommate calls me at work on Saturday and asks if I want to high tail it to Philly for the night?

Random, but of course I said yes!

So we got in the car, and drove 2 and a half hours.  We went out, and we drank and stayed at some little hotel called "The Rodeway Inn" (which actually was a lot nicer than it sounded.....LOL)

Sunday morning we awoke, hungry and hungover, and well what's better to do in that situation than BRUNCH?!  And so we bruncheddd, and it was GOOD :)

Nicole's friend took us to this little joint called "The Continental" which turned out to have one of the coolest menus I've ever seen. 

Please Please PLEASE check out this menu :)

The Continental-Midtown

It was simple, but developed. Familiar but with surprises!  It's everything would want from a "diner" type setting, but with a little twist.  It was perfect. 

With choices like "The Healthy Elvis" a sandwich composed of peanut-butter, nutella, and bananas on whole wheat bread, or "Lobster Mac and Cheese" which has Orzo pasta, Gruyere and Fontina cheese, French Onion soup dumplings, Tiramasu Waffles with marscapone cream and burbon syrup, Banana Fritters with butterscotch sauce, they even had a Chicken Biscut with onion bacon marmalade and sharp cheddar cheese!!!

Ok, I am seriously hungry now after revisiting this menu....I might have to drive to Philly.....


But wait, there's more......The small section at the bottom, the DRINK MENU, well THAT was my favorite!!


and that's what I want to talk about, Mainly the "Wake and Bacon Mary"
*Spicy bloody mary with BACON INFUSED tomato vodka, a lemon, a lime and a skewer full of big fat olives :)

what?!, how??!?!? bacon? vodka???!!!! bloody mary.....well I am hungover, so I'M SOLD.

it was amazing, it was perfection, it tasted like a BLT in a glass, but BETTER.



and as we ordered our round of wake and bacon's, we had to ask the waiter how they made this glass of wonderfulness?!
(the waiter by the way was the cutest, gayest lil' thang, skinny as a bean pole, and polite as a peach.  We offered to take him home with us to NY and he blushed LOL )
He told us in a twangy, mid western sounding accent that they infuse the vodka themselves and" all u need is some tomato vodka, a lil cooked bacon and a few days, and there ya go!"



I'm surprised that I have not tried this ye since I've been home, but I ASSURE you that I will soon.....







TO BE CONTINUED.....

No comments:

Post a Comment